Tuesday 10 April 2007

Finally, a Malaysian rapper worth a damn.

Ok, I didn't want to write about this but I couldn't resist. It was stimulated by this video.



(youtube text link)

So, I guess there'll be some out there who don't understand the 5 languages he's using so here's a rough translation. Bear in mind the 2 key things lost in translation - the puns and the rhymes - which made this rap pretty funny.

*Warning. You are reading at the risk of being offended. We are talking racial slurs here. Do NOT listen or read if you are racially sensitive. I believe this guys' heart is in the right place and he isn't malicious, so please don't "Ops Lalang" me or him. OK? He's from Muar. He knows what its like to live in different worlds, at the same time. He's a rapper. You know, like controversial? Saying things everybody feels but nobody wants to say?


MANDARIN:
Let me first say
I wrote this song
If you wanna hear it, don't be pissed off.

HAINANESE:
I'm a Hainanese kid
I speak 6 languages
You think Hainanese people
Only know how to cook chicken rice?
Drink one glass of Hainanese coffee
And even I will know how to sing

Now this song,
I am singing for all My Friends...
This song,
I am singing for all My Friends...
(whispering)
This song,
I am singing for all My Friends...

CANTONESE:
To my KL friends
Don't be too stuck up
The words I am saying here
Are all from the heart

The fact that I learn Cantonese
Doesn't mean I've surrendered
It's only for the sake of telling you
That I'm not retarded.

The Malaysian Chinese
Are mostly Hokkien buddies
But the funny thing is
Everything here is spoken in Cantonese!

I don't really give a shit
About this strange phenomenon
But on the radio and the TV
Why is Chinese not spoken?

There are many types of Chinese people
This ain't Hong Kong
Why is everything in 'Canton'?
You guys don't respect

But I'll slowly learn it all
This is called manners
And I'll slowly get used to it
'Cos I know what I'm doing.

Hey, if you really can't listen to this any more
I don't mind
Let me gift you some Teochew words instead...

TEOCHEW:
&%#^ your mom!

(chorus)

Na na na na
NA
Na na na na na

Na na na na
NA
Na na na na naaa...

(rpt chorus)


MANDARIN:
Singapore
Got independent in 1965
But after independence
A lot of shit happened

We speak the same
And we curse the same
But when the government gives an order
You don't dare do shit!

Actually I only have
One impression of Singapore
Because the buildings you build
ALL LOOK THE SAME

This kind of social order
Is basically Commmunism!
Lee Kwan Yew and Mao Tse-Tung
are basically Buddies!

Marxism is actually
Sitting heavily on you
Developing the country
Is better than developing your independent thought.

You're too scared of dying
You're too scared of losing
And the government paves a way
For your kids from young to old
Come over to Malaysia to play
And you think this place is backward
(Aiya even if we live in trees
we still take elevators to go up them - aii?)

You always take the big roads
Never dare to take the small roads
Should you dare to chew one stick of gum
You'll still spit it out here!

Little brother!
I suspect you don't actually even know how to cross a road
There may not be many zebra crossings here
But we know how to SURVIVE

rpt chorus

(Ok ah? Now the Malays' turn ah?)

MALAY:
"Talk some more lah!
You Chinese can go back to China!"
But if we all go back
This won't be Malaysia!
And I'm worried about where you're all gonna find work!

(But normally...
Malays don't like to work anyway... )

You all can go back to the jungle
Live like villagers
But if you want to play a guitar
There'll be no shops open for you
Want to become street racers?
There'll be no motorbikes for you
You'll have one less holiday
Because you won't have Chinese New Year

Don't cause a riot
Little boys open your minds
This country does not only have one race

"Chinese Pig!"

Don't say any more lah
(But to tell you the truth
Bak Kut Teh really does taste nice)

I know I speak Malay like shit
But what I say, I say with real feeling
We're already 50 years old
Everyday you're still sleeping
Look towards the future
See? It's 2020!

rpt chorus

ENGLISH:

We are friends
But we're making mistakes
Cause of (sic) I don't understand you
you don't understand me
We are friends
but we're making mistakes
If we solve the problems
Everything will be free

(machine gun fire)

End.

No comments: